As the temperatures drop, we’re always looking for new ways to warm up. If you’re not out with us, treat yourself to a night in with a cup of spiced wine and bowl of butternut squash soup. These recipes are great as-is, but also leave lots of room for you to add things in and put on your own spin. Gather your ingredients, light your Candle Maker candle for some ambiance, and get cooking.
Winter Squash Soup
• 6 tablespoons chopped onion
• 4 tablespoons margarine
• 6 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
• 3 cups water
• 4 cubes chicken bouillon
• 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
• 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
• 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheeseDirections
Prep: 25 min
Cook: 35 min
Ready In: 1 hr
1. In a large saucepan, sauté onions in margarine until tender. Add squash, water, bouillon, marjoram, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Bring to boil; cook 20 minutes, or until squash is tender.
2. Puree squash and cream cheese in a blender or food processor in batches until smooth. Return to saucepan, and heat through. Do not allow to boil.
Warm Spiced Wine
• 1 (750 milliliter) bottle merlot wine
• 3 tablespoons white sugar
• 4 (3 inch) orange peel strips
• 4 (3 inch) lemon peel strips
• 2 cinnamon sticks
• 2 whole cloves
• 1 whole nutmegDirections
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 10 min
Ready In: 20 min
Combine merlot, sugar, orange peels, lemon peels, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and nutmeg in a saucepan over medium heat; simmer until sugar is dissolved and flavors have blended, 10 to 15 minutes.